c. 1620. Earliest appearance in Maryland of European objects in archeological context.
1629. George Calvert, 1st Lord Baltimore, sails from Newfoundland to Virginia.
1631. Kent Island trading post and farming settlement established by William Claiborne, member of Virginia council.
1634, March 25. Landing of settlers at St. Clement's (now Blakistone) Island (Maryland Day). Calvert party celebrates Feast of Annunciation (March 25); later purchases Indian land, and builds "Fort at St. Mary's City."
1634/5, Feb. 26. First General Assembly (law-making assembly of freemen) met at St. Mary's City.
1635. Proprietary vessels clash with those of William Claiborne.
1635. A Relation of Maryland published by Jerome Hawley and John Lewger (London).
1636. Leonard Calvert House (later, Country's House), East St. Mary's, serves as state house and governor's residence.
1637. St. Mary's County first cited in provincial records.
1638. Assembly claims protectons of English law; Assembly and courts meet at John Lewger's St. John's.
1639. First elections in province for delegates to Assembly ordered by Governor Calvert on Kent Island, and in hundreds of Mattapanient, St. Michael's, St. Mary's, and St. George's.
1642. Kent County first cited in records of commissioner appointments.
1645. Ingle's Rebellion: Richard Ingle leads rebellion against proprietary government.
1647/8, Jan. 21. Margaret Brent denied right to vote in General Assembly.
1649, April 21. Religious toleration law (An Act concerning Religion) enacted.
1649-1652. William Stone, governor.
1650, April. Anne Arundel County created (Chapter 8, Acts of 1650).
1650, April 6. General Assembly divided into an upper and lower house.
1652/3.Michael Baisey m. by 28 Jan 1652/3, Joan, widow of Anthony Rawlings (the father of John Rawlings) 1654. Patuxent County (later Calvert County) formed by order in council.
1655, March 25. Puritans from Virginia defeated Gov. William Stone's forces at Battle of the Severn.
1656. John Hammond's Leah and Rachel, published (London).
1657, Nov. 30. Lord Baltimore's claim to Maryland reaffirmed.
1658. Lower House votes to compose itself of four delegates per county, elected by freemen.
1658. Charles County created by order in council.
1659/60, Jan. 12. Baltimore County known to have been established by this date, when a writ was issued to county sheriff.
1660. Bohemia Manor established by Augustine Herrman.
1661/62, Feb. 18. Talbot County known to have been established by this date, when a writ was issued to county sheriff.
1663. Augustine Herrman, first naturalized citizen of Maryland.
1664. Slavery sanctioned by law; slaves to serve for life.
1664. Construction on Secretary's Office or Council Chamber (later van Swearingen Ordinary), St. Mary's probably begun by this date.
1666. Somerset County established by order in council.
1666. Assembly agrees to 1-year "stint" on tobacco growing, but Lord Baltimore vetoes bill.
1666. A Character of the Province of Maryland, by George Alsop, published (London)
1667. St. Mary's City incorporated. Aaron Rawlings I born.
1668/69. Feb. 16. Dorchester County known to have been established by this date, when a writ was issued to county sheriff.
1670. Voting restricted by Governor to planters with 50-acre freehold or property worth 40 pounds; officeholding restricted to owners of 1,000 acres.
1670. Authoritative map of Maryland (engraved, London, 1673) completed by Augustine Herrman.
1672. George Fox, founder of Religious Society of Friends, preaches in Anne Arundel County. Friends form Maryland Yearly Meeting.
1672. Cecil County erected from Baltimore and Kent counties by proclamation of Governor.
1676. Brick state house completed at St. Mary's City.
1676. In Lower House, Proprietor limits delegates to two per county.
1679. Philip Calvert begins construction of St. Peter's, largest brick structure in province.
1679. Governor grants county courts jurisdiction over civil suits.
1681. Josias Fendall found guilty of conspiracy by Provincial Court, which fines and banishes him.
1682. Quakers begin building Third Haven Meeting House (completed 1684), Talbot County.
1683. Assembly passes Act for Advancement of Trade (town act).
1683, Labadist community settles at Bohemia Manor.
1683, May 15. Proprietor replaces headright system of land grants with "caution money" or outright purchase.
1684. Cambridge on Choptank River laid out by commissioners.
1684. Presbyterians under Francis Makemie build church at Snow Hill, first in colonies.
1685, Aug. 31. Printing press of William Nuthead used at St. Mary's City by this date.
1692. Church of England made the established church. Royal assent to establishment act given in 1702.
1694, Dec. Anne Arundel Town renamed Annapolis.
1695. Prince George's County erected from Charles and Calvert counties (Chapter 13, Acts of 1695, May session)
1696. Construction begins on new state house and probably on St. Anne's Church, Annapolis.
1696. King William's School (later St. John's College) founded at Annapolis by Governor Nicholson and others.
1696.Paul Rawlings, m. by 1 Oct 1696, (N), legatee of (N) Johnson (mentioned in account of Joseph and Elizabeth Fry of PG Co.
1697.Philip GRIFFIN m. by 18 May 1697, Jane, relict and extx. of Richard Rawlings of AA Co.
1698. Monopoly of slave trade by Royal African Company abolished by Parliament; slave imports markedly increase.
1698. Kent County courthouse moves from New Yarmouth to New Town (later Chestertown).