Free Web Hosting Provider - Web Hosting - E-commerce - High Speed Internet - Free Web Page
Search the Web


Manors of St. Mary's Maryland


The Manor Map is based on the research of Peter Himmelheber, St. Mary's County, MD. His maps reflect the information provided in the Land Records in Annapolis, MD.(From: http://www.rootsweb.com/~mdstmary/manors/manors.htm)

Manors


SNOW HILL

- Abel Snow. Brother Justinian Snow probably lived there 1637/8 - 8/9. Escheat-1650.

CROSS MANOR

-Thomas Cornwallis in 1639. -1661 - to John Nutthall of Virginia.- 1669 Cross Manor & St. Elizabeths Manor to Walter Hall

ST INIGOES MANOR

Jesuits- Cuthbert Fenwick in 1641, as agent for Jesuits.

ST CLEMENTS MANOR

Thomas Gerrard-1639

    SNOW HILL
    29 February 1639/40, a patent was issued to London merchant Abel Snow, brother of Susanna Snow (wife of Thomas Gerard) for 6000 acres. (PA:01:056}. A year later it was noted that this manor “was never seated and the tract was resurveyed but now contained only 1000 acres. On 12 February 1640/41 a patent was issued again to Abel Snow {PA:01:109}. Abel probably never came to Maryland but his brothers Justinian and Marmaduke had been here since 25 January 1637/38 {AM:I:002}. It appears Justinian was seated in the manor when he died in the winter/spring of 1638/39 {AM:IV:079}. It is thought Marmaduke later returned to England and the manor went escheat based on an act “relating to deserted plantations” passed on 29 April 1650.

    CROSS MANOR: “Manor of Cornwallis Cross (Chronicles of St. Mary's, Vol. 13, No. 7) Granted to Thomas Cornwallis in 1639 {01:110}. Next to ‘Cornwallis’ Cross Manor’ (now known as Cross Manor). On 9 Aug 1661 Cornwallis sold Cross Manor and St. Elizabeth’s Mannor to John Nutthall of Virginia {AM:XLIX:003}. On 21 July 1669 both Cross Manor, and St. Elizabeths Manor were sold by John Nutthall to Walter Hall” {AM:LVII:557}.

    ST INIGOES MANOR: “St Inigoes Manor (Chronicles of St. Mary's,Vol. 8, No. 3) granted to Ferdinand Pulton in 1639 {01:040}. Repatented to include St. George’s Island by Cuthbert Fenwick in 1641 {01:115}. At this time Fenwick was an agent for the Jesuits. In 1662 and 1663 two prominent Catholics, Thomas Mathews and Cuthbert Fenwick, conveyed separately three important manors to Henry Warren of St. Inigoes, unquestionably for church purposes and probably as Jesuit holdings, although no reference is made to this in the deeds, which were not recorded until 1666. On July 12, 1663, Fenwick conveyed to Warren the manor of St. Inigoes, containing 2000 acres and St. George's Island, both lying in St. Mary's County. The deeds were recorded March 22, 1666. (Proceedings of the Provincial Court of Maryland 1666-1670, Volume LVII Preface 55).”

    ST CLEMENTS MANOR (Chronicles of St. Mary's, Vol. 12, No. 4, ; No. 5, Vol. 9, No. 11) was granted to Thomas Gerard on November 3, 1639. It originally lay on the island of that name in St. Mary's County and contained 1,030 acres. It was resurveyed for Gerard in 1642.  Additional land was added which increased the size to 6,000 acres. In 1678 it was resurveyed again for Justinian Gerard, who had inherited it from his father, and again with additional acreage, it then contained 11,400 acres.

    Eltonhead Manor granted to William Eltonhead in 1649. In 1648, William Eltonhead (brother of Jane Eltonhead who married first, Robert Moryson of VA and secondly, Cuthbert Fenwick) had been granted letters patent to the Manor of Little Eltonhead of 2,000 ac. described then as in Calvert Co. but later in St. Mary’s County.  In 1652, his uncle, Edward Eltonhead, Esq. was granted Great Eltonhead Manor, 5,000 acres in Calvert County proper and was also given a warrant for another manorial grant of 10,000 ac. which he requested that his nephew William to put through the proper channels.  The seizure of power by the Puritans and the employment of the firing squad at the Battle of the Severn in 1655 in which William Eltonhead with other conservatives was one of the first victims, precluded the formal survey and patent.  (Flowering of the MD Palantine by Harry Wright Newman

    St Joseph Manor (Chronicles of St. Mary’s, Vol. 16, No. 10) was granted to Nicholas Harvey on 1/25/1642.  He arrived on the “Ark and Dove” and is noted as having been transported into the Colony by Father Andrew White.  In January, 1639, Governor Calvert selected him as Captain of 12 men to wage a war against the Mattapanient Indians (Archives of MD, III:87).  He returned to England where he married and had a daughter, Frances. On 9/1/1641 Cecelius Calvert (Second Lord Baltimore who was running the Colony from England) wrote a letter to his brother, Leonard Calvert, Governor of MD, requesting that Nicholas Harvey be given manorial rights provided he transport himself, his wife, and five other persons. In 1641 Harvey received 1,000 A. for transporting himself, his wife (not named), three menservants--Robert Beard, Henry Spink, and John Chair, a boy named Robert Ford, and his daughter Frances Harvey. His patent was for “St. Joseph's Manor”. It was formally granted to him on 1/25/1642.

    St Michaels Manor: Granted to Leonard Calvert in 1641 {AB&H:098}. This manor, Trinity Manor and St Gabriels Manor where three tracts which were granted to Leonard Calvert, probably just after the colonists arrival. Since there were no early written records, the official granting of these manors doesn't appear until 1641.

    St Richards Manor . (Chronicles of St. Mary7rsquo;s, Vol. 9, No. 1) granted to Richard Gardiner in 1640 for 1,000 acres. On September 23, 1662, Luke Gardiner and his wife, Elizabeth gave a quit claim deed to Luke Barber and his wife, Elizabeth for St. Richard’s Manor, 1,000 acres.  (Provincial Court Proceedings, Archives of MD, Vol. 49, p. 33).  Gardiner abandoned the manor during the raids of 1642 and during Ingle’s Rebellion 1645-1646.  The property was repatented to his son, Luke Gardiner, in 1652.  Luke Gardner (and  wife Elizabeth) sold it to Luke Barber on 23 Sep 1662 {AM:XLIX:033}. Luke Barber sold it to Richard Cane on 27 Oct 1662 {AM:XLIX:127}.  By 1707, St. Richard’s Manor belonged to the heirs of Andrew Abington.

    West Saint Marys Manor (Chronicles of St. Mary’s, Vol. 36, No.4) In 1634, a patent for 4,000 acres was granted to Henry Fleete, a Virginia trader, who acted as interpreter and guide for the Maryland colonists when they first arrived in the Potomac River. This property was &ldqup;upon the West Side of St George’s [Mary’s] River over against St Maries” {PA:01:097}. No description of the bounds of this early grant has been found. By 1638, Fleete appears to have become disgruntled with the Calverts due to the trading restrictions they imposed in the colony and he returned to Virginia {PA:02:085}. West Saint Mary’s went escheat to his Lordship.

    WESTBURY MANOR granted to Thomas Weston in 1642 {AB&H:058}. This manor eventually was in possession of John Connant by 1707. Connant had married the daughter of Thomas Weston, the original patentee, and lived in new England. In 1737 John Connant sold it to Josiah Connant. {RR:7&8:016}. According to a book about Weymouth Mass., written in 1923, “....coast in a starving state. There he received food and shelter and went to Plymouth, but Gorge5, coming there, arrested him by the power of the Council for New England. In the end he was set at liberty, his vessel the "Swan" was restored to him, and, after paying a % isit to Wessagusset, he finally went to Virginia. In 1642 he went to Maryland with five others and settled in St. Georges Hundred. There he prospered and built a beautiful mansion called ‘Westbury Manor.’ He became a leading man in St. Georges, distinguished himself in a war with the Indians, received the praise of Governor Calvert, and in case of an Indian alarm the people of St. George's Hundred were directed by the Governor to convey the women and children to Westbury Manor for safety. There are many records of Weston in Maryland (see the New England Register, Vol. 10, pp. 201-206). In Maryland he had praise, distinction and prosperity, with no enernies to trouble him. He made visits to England, and on one of the visits be was in Bristol while the plague was there, He took the plague and diedin 1647. 1. 1 His daughter married Rielifird Conant, Jr., so the Conants of America go back to Thomas Weston. The five men who went with Weston to Maryland were Richard Hanniford, William Marshall, William Palmer, John Kelly and jasper Collins. ”

    Wollaston Manor 2000 acres granted to James Neale in 1642 {01:113}; now in Charles County.